Monday, December 31, 2012

Thirteen Sports Predictions for 2013


Thirteen Sports Predictions for 2013
by Dan Salem and Todd Salem (12-31-12)


TODD:
In honor of the new year, I have some sports predictions for what 2013 will hold. Rather than being boring and going by sport, I'm taking us month by month.

Here's what is going to happen in January:

(1) Alabama will win the BCS National Championship by more than a touchdown and at least two prominent writers/bloggers will write an article saying that Ohio State deserves to finish number one in the Associated Press rankings.

(2) The voting results for the MLB Hall of Fame will be released and both Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens will get in... by 2015. Sorry, I know I slow-rolled you on that one. Neither guy will receive the required 75% of votes to make it this year but both will be in within the next two votes. I know, I know; it's kind of a long-term prediction but we'll immediately know it's wrong if neither guy comes close to 75% this January.

(3) The NHL lockout will end and the regular season will be under way by the time February rolls around.

(4) The San Francisco 49ers will advance to the Super Bowl, debunking the myth that teams getting hot at the right time always roll through the playoffs.

Tell me where I'm wrong!

DAN:
I love the month to month predictions, but come on! You only made it to February. This can be a three part post, but I'm going the full third of the year here and will take mine into April.

Starting in January works for me:

(1) Notre Dame, not Alabama, will win the National Championship. I'll go one step further and say they win 28 to 24 on a late game TAINT (that's a touchdown after an interception, as well as a male's unmentionables). Ohio State will also be undefeated, but remain relegated to the outside of the championship discussion.

(2) As for the voting results for MLB Hall of Fame, there's what I wish would happen and then what will happen. This is a progressive time, but Bonds and Clemens will have to wait at least one more year. I'm with you, they get snubbed this year out of principle alone. I'm thinking Bonds gets in next season and Clemens needs one more than that.

(3) I'm not as optimistic about the NHL. The lockout ends, but not until late February at best. They get one month of games at most and cut the playoffs in half to make for an unbelievably thrilling end to a sport that is dying as we speak.

(4) Now to the good stuff, the NFL Playoffs. In the NFC we get a Seahawks vs. 49ers championship game, west coast bias all the way baby! I think the Seahawks snap their road woes and march into San Fran as the hot team so to speak. The 49ers get the best of them this time however and do in fact make the Super Bowl.

In the AFC we get the somewhat predictable outcome of Manning falling flat in the postseason and losing to his old team in round two. The Colts meet the Patriots in the AFC championship, and as a Jets fan it stings to say this, but the Patriots are once again going to the Super Bowl.

Patriots 35, 49ers 28 in a redemption game for Brady who is probably the best quarterback ever. For him to have not won a Super Bowl in nearly a decade is incredible, considering he lost two on defensive breakdowns.  I'll toss you a "Go Giants" out of sympathy. 


With football now behind us its time for pitchers and catchers to report. Oh, and there's a little thing called March Madness! I'm putting it out there, its madness to predict the final four on December 31st, but here goes.

 
(5) The NCAA Men's Final Four includes Duke, Syracuse, Texas, and NC State. Syracuse over Texas in the finals and Boeheim retires on top.

(6) On to baseball. I'll make a couple of Yankees predictions as they are the only team worth discussing. Before the season kicks off the Yankees will trade for Evan Longoria. The Rays can't afford to keep him long term and this blockbuster is happening. Oh yeah! They will also snatch a closer from the Cardinals as insurance. That team has a ton of bullpen talent.

Tell me where I'm wrong oh Nostratoddmus, sir.  See what I did there?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment