Monday, June 3, 2013

Derek Jeter: Gone or Just resting - Part one


Derek Jeter: Gone or Just resting - Part one
by Dan Salem and Todd Salem (6-3-13)



TODD:
Unpopular opinion alert: Derek Jeter is probably not playing this season. He has had setback after setback. His return date jumped from April to May to July to no timetable. The captain may not have an at-bat this season...which logically brings us to this harsh reality: Jeter may not play again.

Of course he's a Hall of Famer. His numbers are good; his postseason accolades are historic. His career outlook is not at risk if he never takes another swing. My question, Yankee fan to Yankee fan, is whether this possibility bothers you.

Now clearly not having a starting shortstop on your favorite club is troublesome. That's not what I mean. Does the fact that Derek Jeter may retire (and that Mo Rivera IS going to retire) bother you? You are certainly aware at this point of my ice cold heart and stony demeanor. I never become attached to players. The Yankees could trade Robinson Cano tomorrow and I wouldn't mind as long as the haul made them better off. But you never broached the analytic approach as far as I.

If Derek Jeter cannot play baseball anymore for the New York Yankees, how will that make you feel?


DAN:
My entire adult life has consisted of Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera in pinstripes. I have a vague memory of Don Mattingly playing for the Yankees, but my first true memories of our team come from 1996 and year the Yankees won their first World Series of my lifetime. I'm definitely blessed to barely recall a time before our team was dominant as hell, but that doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye. What does make Jeter's absence bearable is Mariano's dominance during his swan song of a season.

We know this is Rivera's final season and can enjoy it for everything it is. His greatness continues on and that continues to be absolutely amazing. On the flip side is Derek Jeter, who I assumed would take the field for at least another half year. Until you threw the facts in my face, I still expected him to return by August 1st. But if he is done, done, then I'm sad.

Its one thing to watch your team's captain and former best player, knowing he is going to retire. Its quite another to realize that the year before was his final season and nothing more is coming. If I'm being honest, I was surprised how well he played in 2012. He blew up expectations and destroyed any notion I had of his demise. But reality is here now and I'm not surprised he's on the bench. I would be shocked, however, if he didn't make at least a few plate appearances in September and the post season.

On a side note, how amazing is it for Jeter to be a Yankee, not from a fan's perspective, but from a player's? They are basically paying him this entire season to rehab an injury, knowing full well that he is about to retire. I don't think any other team does this, no matter the caliber of player. They should really name him an honorary bench coach and have him dress for the games. Not a mascot in the literal sense, but definitely a mascot! I would love that.


TODD:
Even though I have no heart or loyalty to specific players and my blood runs cold as the River Styx, I do agree that watching Rivera play out his final year knowing he will retire is more pleasant than waiting on Jeter's future. But really the nice feeling is 98% derived from the fact that he is playing so well. If Rivera turned into Fernando Rodney, I'd probably wish he was out rehabbing a devastating injury.

But with Rivera's future announced and Jeter's so up in the air, the Yankees have a different feel to them. The other injuries on the team play a large part in this as well. We didn't expect to still see Travis Hafner, Vernon Wells and Lyle Overbay playing in June. However, despite any injuries or whatnot, this is Robinson Cano's team. What now happens if the Yankees are not able to re-sign him? He is a free agent at year's end and will be asking for a lot, I mean A LOT, a ton, a great ton of money. With the Yankees' self-appointed salary cap ceiling for 2014, it is at least possible Cano does not wear pinstripes next season. What then?





No comments:

Post a Comment