Monday, June 17, 2013

"Kick save and a Beauty" - What ha... happened? (June part one)


"Kick save and a Beauty" - What ha... happened? 
(June part one)
by Dan Salem and Todd Salem (6-17-13)



We scour the internet for a crazy sports photo and someone must try to explain it. Seesaw Sports asks what ha... happened? Monday: Opening statement. Friday: Rebuttal.

Real photos. Real results. But what in the heck happened?

This month we have GIFs!



TODD:
I present to you the following:
 

Photo: All women's sports should be this much fun.

Title: "Kick save and a Beauty"

Description: Who knew?!? Apparently the phrase "Kick save and a Beauty" is not just for ice hockey. This volleyballer made a nice diving kick to, we assume, save the point for her team. But even if they didn't manage the return, who cares? It was still damn impressive. Go ladies!

Two immediate questions come to mind:

(1) Be honest, were you aware that players were allowed to use their feet in volleyball?

(2) Can you find me a better GIF of someone stretching the limits of a sport?

My answer to both is 'I doubt it.' But go for it and tell me what ha... happened?


DAN:
Honesty, huh? I had NO idea you could kick the ball in volleyball. I thought it was bump, set, spike, but kick! Haha, that's awesome.

I'd argue this is hardly stretching the limits of the sport if its just part of the game, albeit a rarity. But don't you worry. I have a few GIFs up my sleeve.

As for what happened?

Not everyone is fortunate enough to make the Olympic soccer team. That may be the pinnacle of women's team sports in the Olympics and this lady was the odd woman out. She is a super star athlete however and turned to her second love, volleyball. Not beach volleyball, that's for showoffs, but regular street volleyball. Instincts are instincts, and instead of diving head first to bump the ball with her hands, a sweet slide and kick save was enacted. I'm hoping it was for success!

(GIF courtesy of Sbnation)






No comments:

Post a Comment