Monday, January 13, 2014

"They said what?" - Sports quotes game (Round one)


"They said what?" - Sports quotes game (Round one)
by Dan Salem and Todd Salem (1-13-14)



Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the wonderfully crafted game of They said what?

For those new to the game or in need of a refresher, we'll quickly run through the rules here at Seesaw Sports. Player one presents player two with a sports quote.

- The quote can be about sports
- The quote can be said by a famous sportsman
- The quote can be both about sports and said by a famous sportsman, but NEVER neither one

The quote is given, along with three hints as to who said it. These hints can be anything from when the quote was uttered to facts about the speaker.

Player two then responds with their guess as to who said it and a brief explanation surrounding their conclusion. A correct guess is worth one point for player two. An incorrect guess is worth one point for player one.

Okay, let's get ready to play round one of... They said what?



TODD:

As player one I'll kick things off with what I consider to be a medium difficulty quote.

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

Hint One - Uttered by a famous head coach.
Hint Two - He was notoriously hard and expected perfection.
Hint Three - He coached in the NFL.


DAN:
Well, well, well. For our inaugural game of They said what? you picked an excellent quote, but unfortunately for you, this game is too easy for me.

Hint one pretty much gave it away. Vince Lombardi. Hint two solidified my answer. Vince Lombardi. And hint three tied a pretty pink bow on your gift wrapped point. Vince Lombardi.

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." (by Vince Lombardi)


TODD:
Yeah, Vince Lombardi is correct. That was too easy. I started off soft; don't get too cocky.


DAN:
My turn. Let's see how you like this quote.

"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling."

Hint One - He did not play golf.
Hint Two - He is famous for his writing.
Hint Three - His famed name is not his given name.


TODD:
Challenging, but I think I know it. The fact that he talked about sports but did not play the sport in question gave me pause at first. I thought it might be a comedian. Once you said he was a writer, I was pretty sure I knew it. The existence of an alternate name sealed the deal.

"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling," has to have been said by Mark Twain.


DAN:
Damn, thought I may have stumped you there. We're all tied up at one.


SCORE (after one round):
Player one (Todd) - 1 point
Player two (Dan) - 1 point







No comments:

Post a Comment