Friday, December 20, 2013

2013 Sports Predictions Recap


2013 Sports Predictions Recap
by Dan Salem and Todd Salem (12-20-13)



TODD:
Well my brother, we have been at this for an entire year now. Back in December of 2012, we each made a list of predictions for the coming year. Some were pretty good; some were horrible. I thought it'd be fun to take a peak back at some of our guesses for 2013, in preparation for doing the same, idiotic, neck-on-the-line exercise this month as well.

To start things off, let's just say I know my football pretty damn well. I had Alabama winning the 2013 BCS Championship by more than a touchdown. They ended up winning 42-14 over Notre Dame.

I had the San Francisco 49ers making the Super Bowl. I don't even remember predicting that. Why didn't I gloat about it more at the time? Oh, I know why. Because you piggybacked on my pick and also took San Fran!

Continuing my hot football picks, I liked Mike Glennon as the best rookie QB coming out of the draft, and I said "as December rolls around, the Carolina Panthers will have the best record in the NFL." How bout that? Pretty close, right? I'm taking credit for that as a correct prediction.

You weren't too shabby yourself in the football department. Other than nailing the 49ers, you had Johnny Manziel winning another Heisman Trophy and, well, he was a finalist!

You also had the Braves, Rays and Reds all as MLB playoff teams, although your World Series pick was off and you liked the LA Angels more than the LA Dodgers; ooof. Why don't you go ahead and tell us where we were off so we know what to steer clear of this time around?


DAN:
Right off the bat, I'm happy to say I was wrong in picking the Patriots to reach the 2013 Super Bowl. They got within a Ravens' miracle of making it, but still fell short. Something to avoid in this year's predictions? How about putting New England in the 2014 Super Bowl for starters.

We also sucked at predicting the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four. Now mind you, its December and March Madness is known for being wildly unpredictable, but we were WAY off the mark. I got one team correct, the Syracuse Orange Men, but put Duke, NC State and Texas in there. You abstained from making this prediction, which was a good idea in hindsight as Louisville, Wichita State and Michigan were the three teams to join Syracuse in the Final Four. I'm willing to pick the Final Four again, but it will have zero basis in reality. Zero!

I'd also suggest we steer clear of MLB trades. I wishfully placed Evan Longoria on the Yankees and you ignorantly put Curtis Granderson on another team mid-season. Sure, sure he left in free agency, but the damage was done. We missed completely on our MLB trade predictions.

Swing and a miss, you were off the mark with the New York Jets as well. I bet you salivated when they signed David Garrard in the offseason, as you predicted their week one starter wasn't yet on the team and would not be a rookie. Alas, the starter all year has been rookie QB Geno Smith.

For some reason I made a golf prediction, stating Phil Michelson would win the Masters and retire from the sport. I'll mark that down as misguided. Moving on...

I commend you for attempting to predict the final BCS title game, but Ohio State vs. LSU was just wishful thinking. It will be Auburn vs. Florida State for the final BCS Championship. I smartly avoided this prediction.

We did thirteen predictions for 2013, but that was obviously over our heads as prognosticators. Lets make it an even ten this year and kick things off Monday with our first five predictions. Here's my wish list to get things started:

1 - 2014 Super Bowl teams

2 - A March Madness prediction

3 - NBA Finals MVP

4 - Alex Rodriguez results

5 - MLB World Series 2014

6 - Surprise NFL team of 2014 (biggest turn around perhaps)

7 - World Cup prediction

8 - First College Football Playoff prediction



[2014 Predictions on Monday]



No comments:

Post a Comment